22 August 2012

A morning moment.

Brad has a new job. It starts at 7:30am. Which means he leaves the house at 6:30am.

I am not a morning person, so this is tough on me, but I push through it. Counting the hours to nap time usually helps.

Ellie (and I) have gotten into the habit of sleeping until 7:30 (me, until 7). I thought it'd be fine if I just left her bundled up in our bed sleeping (safely, of course) until her normal wake up time, so I went downstairs to be with Mak and commence the morning. Ellie stirred. I rushed up to comfort her back to sleep.

Mak followed. SHHHH!! I insist. He whines, wanting to "help" wake up his little sister. So I resort to what every parent resorts to in times of desperation.

Bribery.

If you let me put baby back to sleep, I whisper, I'll give you a jellybean.

He taps his chin with his finger. I see him thinking. Then, in his LOUDEST whisper, he replies: No, I want TWO jellybeans.

Fine, I say. I can spare two.

Too late. Mak's loud whisper carried into his sister's ears, and her eyes pushed wide open. I hang my head in defeat.

SHE'S AWAAAAAKE! Mak screams with a smile. He climbs on the bed and kisses her belly. I can't be mad.

But, no, I did not give up the jellybeans.

Much love,
The Dolfos

No comments:

Post a Comment