18 February 2011

Life with three.

A friend's nanny was out today, and since she wasn't able to find a back up in time, she asked me. I thought, "sure, I'll be helpful this one time and brave three kids. How hard can it be?"

J is a four month old, precious little girl. And fortunately for me, C seriously *LOVES* babies. However, Mak has never been around babies, so I was still a little apprehensive. 8am, J gets dropped off, so does C, all is well. Mak sees J, stares, then sees C, the boys go play, I get the girl settled in (I'd never met her before this).

I had it all planned out. I'd get all three kids in the car, and head down to Kid Ventures, a fabulous indoor play area. Got the diaper bags packed and the boys in their shoes, the girl buckled into the carseat and managed to corral them all in the car. Of course I didn't even consider that EVERY OTHER MOM would be there as well, since it was raining. It. Was. Packed. Fine, I thought, we'll just stay here for an hour, then by the time I get them all out of there and back IN the car and back home, it'll be lunchtime.

Wrong. Ten minutes into the hour, C had a meltdown. He was hungry and didn't like ANY of the 12 snacks I packed. Two choices, I told him, we can go home and eat or we can stay and play for a little bit longer and then go home and eat. He didn't like his choices. More meltdown. Some time out, while I changed J's diaper (how is it possible I'd already forgotten how often newborns need their diaper changed?!)

Then, of course, I changed Mak's diaper. Then I bottle-fed J. Then I kissed Mak's boo-boo. Then I helped C put on play clothes. Then I finished bottle-feeding J. And then.. And then.. And then........

Oh, how happy I was then the hour was up!! Got all three kids in the car, got home, J asleep in the carseat, fed the boys, bottle-fed J yet AGAIN, play play play play, NAP TIME!!

Here's the absolute best thing I've ever (I do mean EVER) accomplished: I got a three year old, a sixteen month old AAAANNNNDD a four month old to take a nap.

AT.THE.SAME.TIME.

Oh yes, I ate my lunch in peace and enjoyed EVERY. SECOND. I was so proud of myself! I really did think for a second that I couldn't possibly be able to take care of three kids at the same time, but I can!! I *CAN* do it! I certainly don't WANT to do it on a daily basis, but I definitely feel a great sense of... ability, I guess, is the right word, just knowing that there is something out there that I absolutely, positively CAN DO and I know I can because I did it!

And that, my friends, is life with three. I did it, and it didn't leave me as tired as I thought it would. I'm sure it's different when you have three 24/7, but for the moment, I'll settle for my 8/1 (eight hours a day, for one day). :)

Much Love,
The Dolfos

No comments:

Post a Comment