16 February 2011

Sharing is Caring

So I woke up this morning and somehow ended up reading this article about sharing:



I have to say, I agree. I watch a three year old all day (let's call him "C") along with my sixteen month old. I've gone out of my mind trying to explain to C that Mak just doesn't understand the concept of sharing yet. I've also gone out of my mind emphasizing to C that 'sharing' doesn't mean 'my turn NOW' (Mak, for the most part, doesn't seem TOO interested yet in playing with others anyway). I've decided to take a step back and see if they can work it out amongst themselves.

So far, not too bad. There's some snatching here and there and I just watch and see what happens. Unlike the blogger, I have two kids in very different stages, so I'm sure that makes it different situation. C is much more likely to come up to me and complain. Mak has no problem yet, either way. All I now is, taking this approach sure helps my sanity throughout the day. Playing referee for eight straight hours was just exhausting. It's important to let kids build their conflict resolution skills, and we as parents are here to help them, not do it for them.

Here's to caring, independent, skillful children! :)

Much love,
The Dolfos

No comments:

Post a Comment